Diary / Justbobbi / Sep 26, 2022
Recipe: Summer Kale and Shaved Veggie Salad
Written by: Lily Kunin
Photography by: Sarah Elliot
by Lily Kunin
The more colorful the salad, the better! It’s pretty incredible that these stunning vegetables are found in nature. And they happen to be some of the most nutrient-rich foods around.
- 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 Tbsp/60 ml olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 1 tsp raw honey
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 head of purple (or any other variety) kale, stems removed and roughly chopped
- 1 cup/20 g arugula
- 4 stalks asparagus, shaved
- 1 Chioggia beet, thinly sliced
- 1 golden beet, thinly sliced
- 1 watermelon radish, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and cut into
- 1⁄4-inch/6-mm slices
- 1⁄4 cup/25 g sliced almonds, toasted Hemp hearts, for topping
In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, 2 Tbsp of the olive oil, the garlic, and honey and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, mix the kale with a pinch of salt and drizzle in the remaining 2 Tbsp olive oil until the kale is slightly wilted and bright green. Add in the arugula, asparagus, beets, radish, avocado, and half of the almonds. Remove the garlic clove from the dressing bowl.
Pour the dressing over the vegetables and toss until everything is well coated. Season with salt and pepper. Top with the hemp hearts and the rest of the almonds.
This recipe originally appeared in Beauty From the Inside Out by Bobbi Brown.