Diary / Justbobbi / Sep 26, 2022
3 Delicious Watermelon Recipes for Summer
Written by: Jenna Werner, RD
You need to add watermelon into your diet. Watermelon is one of the lowest calorie fruits out there providing only 80 calories in a two cup portion. This fruit is versatile, hydrating and packed with nutrients including a good source of vitamins A and C plus potassium. It’s also a good source of lycopene, a powerful antioxidant. Watermelon also contains citrulline, an amino acid that may help with reducing muscle soreness when taken post workout.
It’s time to forget the days of just eating a slice — there are so many fun ways you can cook with watermelon this summer. Start with these recipes, you can thank us later.
Grilled Watermelon Salad
Ingredients for grilled watermelon:
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp. olive oil (or avocado oil)
- 1/2 small watermelon, cut into 1" thick wedges with rind on, seedless as desired
Additional ingredients for salad:
- 1 package arugula (5 oz. clamshell)
- 1 cucumber, diced
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 avocado, diced or sliced – your preference
- Balsamic glaze, drizzle
- Heat grill or grill pan to medium.
- In a medium bowl, add lime, lime zest, honey, and oil.
- Brush watermelon wedges with lime dressing and place on the grill. Save any extra dressing for salad.
- Cook about 1 minute per side, until grill marks created
- In a large serving bowl add: arugula, diced cucumber, diced raw red onion and avocado.
- Top salad with grilled watermelon + the excess lime dressing. Drizzle with balsamic glaze. Serves 4.
Option: to complete this meal, add 1 portion grilled fish or chicken plus whole grain of your choice. Pairs beautifully with wheat berries tossed right into the salad.
Spicy Watermelon Feta Salad
- 1/2 seedless watermelon, cubed
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- Generous handful of mint, chopped
- 1/4 tsp chili lime seasoning (such as low sodium Tajin or Trader Joe’s Chili Lime)
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- 1 cup sliced sweet grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup sliced cucumber
Simply mix all ingredients together in a serving bowl and let them sit for at least 15 minutes before serving. Best served chilled. Serves 4.
Watermelon Yogurt Pops
- 4 cups cubed seedless watermelon
- 1 cup Siggi’s Vanilla skyr yogurt
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Small handful fresh mint leaves (about ¼ cup)
- Start by adding watermelon and mint leaves to a high power blender, and blend until fully pureed.
- Mix watermelon puree, yogurt, lemon juice and honey in a bowl.
- Pour mixture into at least 8 ice pop molds.
- Insert popsicle stick into bottom.
- Place in freezer. Enjoy once firm.
Get creative this summer — try adding watermelon to your avocado toast, use it in fruit salsa, or mix it into a summer cocktail. Let watermelon help you hydrate, cool down and keep your healthy meals fun. Having fun with your food is the best way to prevent boredom with your nutrition plan!