Diary / Justbobbi / Sep 26, 2022
Recipe: The Culinistas' Green Vegetable Pozole
Written by: Jill Donenfeld & Tiana Tenet, The Culinistas
Get your greens in with this veggie-packed soup from our friends, The Culinistas.
Green Vegetable Pozole
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 40 mins
Serves 4 to 6
- 2 medium poblanos, stems & seeds reserved, chopped
- 1 bunch kale, stems reserved, chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro, stems reserved, plus more for garnish
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp cayenne
- 2 TB olive oil
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 (14 oz) can hominy, rinsed
- 1 TB lime juice
- 2 tsp lime zest
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Make the broth: In a large pot, bring poblano stems & seeds, kale stems, cilantro stems, cumin, onion powder, cayenne & 4 cups water to a boil. Reduce heat & simmer, 15 mins. Strain & reserve broth.
In a high speed blender, blend 1 cup broth, ½ bunch kale & cilantro; set aside.
In the same pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add poblanos & sweat until tender, 5 to 6 mins. Add zucchini & hominy; sweat until zucchini is soft, 5 mins.
Add remaining spiced broth, blended kale broth & kale. Bring to a boil; reduce heat & simmer, 15 mins. Season with lime juice, zest, salt & pepper.
Serve soup in bowls. Garnish with cilantro.
- If you can't find hominy, buy navy beans instead. Or, you could use corn.
- If using dried hominy, soak the night before & cook in the broth until tender before adding the remaining soup ingredients. Monitor water level & add more as it gets absorbed & evaporates during cooking.
- Serve the soup with chopped onion, lime wedges & sliced radish on the side if you have them at home.
Dietary & Allergen Info
- Dairy Free
- Gluten Free
To purchase our spices, visit our shop.